FDA Advisory No. 2017-008
Public Health Warning Against the Use of Unnotified Cosmetic Products (Batch 6)
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) advises the public against the purchase and use of the following unnotified cosmetic products whose particulars/details are provided in the attached annex:
- BELLÉ KRIS TU ME MANQUE PARFUM MOISTURIZING HAND & BODY LOTION - SWEET SUMMER
- BELLÉ KRIS TU ME MANQUE PARFUM MOISTURIZING HAND & BODY LOTION - YOUTHFUL SPRING
- EMERON SWEET AVOCADO + VIT E HAND & BODY LOTION FOR DRY SKIN
- EMERON SWEET BENGKUANG + VIT C HAND & BODY LOTION FOR FAIR SKIN
- MUMUSO SUMMER 1 SPF 30+ PA+++ (MUMUSO LIFE SUNSCREEN SPF30 PA+++ SOFT SNOW EMULSION TYPE)
- MUMUSO (RED POMEGRANATES BRIGHTENING AND ENERGIZING CREAM)
- PROFESSIONAL SKIN CARE FORMULA REJUVENATING CREAM
- PROFESSIONAL SKIN CARE FORMULA YELLOW PEELING OIL
- ZAINE SKIN CLARIFYING LOTION WITH VITAMIN E
- ZAINE SKIN SKIN TONER
- BEAUTY MIND & SOUL NATURAL ORIGIN DR. JAMES UV WHITENING CREAM
- LILY’S TOUCH MIRACLE CREAM SPF 40
- DENENES PARAFARMA LECHE CORPORAL HIDRATANTE
- ERASE DIAMOND
FDA post-marketing surveillance (PMS) activities have verified that the abovementioned cosmetic products have not gone through the verification process of the agency and have not been issued the proper authorization in the form of acknowledged cosmetic notifications. Pursuant to Republic Act No. 9711, otherwise known as the “Food and Drug Administration Act of 2009”, the manufacture, importation, exportation, sale, offering for sale, distribution, transfer, non-consumer use, promotion, advertising or sponsorship of health products without the proper authorization from FDA is prohibited.
Accordingly, because unnotified cosmetic products have not gone through the verification process of the FDA, the agency cannot guarantee their quality and safety. The use of such violative products may pose potential health hazards to the consuming public. Potential hazards may come from ingredients that are not allowed to be part of a cosmetic product or from the contamination of heavy metals such as mercury especially in whitening cosmetic products. The use of substandard and possibly adulterated cosmetic products may result to adverse reactions including but not limited to skin irritation, itchiness, anaphylactic shock and organ failure.
In light of the above, the public is advised not to purchase the aforementioned violative products. Moreover, the public is also advised to be vigilant against cosmetic products that might not be duly notified with FDA. Always check if a cosmetic product has been notified with FDA before purchasing it by making use of the embedded Search feature of the FDA website accessible at www.fda.gov.ph.
Dissemination of the information to all concerned is requested.