FDA Advisory No. 2017-010
Public Health Warning Against the Use of Unnotified Cosmetic Products (Batch 8)
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) advises the public against the purchase and use of the following unnotified cosmetic products whose particulars/details are provided in the attached annex:
- ASHLEY SHINE HAIR SERUM LUSTER AND SHINE
- BEAUTY FORMULAS COOLING & REFRESHING DEODORISING FOOT SPRAY MENTHOL & PEPPERMINT
- BEAUTY FORMULAS HONEY & ALMOND FACIAL SCRUB
- BABY SMOOTH BY CLEANSING RESEARCH BRIGHT FACIAL WASH – PEACH EXTRACT AND GENTLE SCRUB
- BEAUOXIWHITE WHITENING & TONING SOLUTION
- CASINO GEL COIFFANT FIXATION FORTE
- DORLENE HERBAL BUST CREAM WITH GINSENG · PUERARIA
- GLUTATHIONE ORIGINAL SOAP
- MOE’S PROFESSIONALS ARGAN OIL MOISTURE REPAIR SPRAY
- MOE’S PROFESSIONALS ARGAN OIL MOISTURE REPAIR SHAMPOO
- LUCKY® TALCUM POWDER - COOL GREEN
- LUCKY® TALCUM POWDER - OCEAN BREEZE
- PAPAYA CREAM RESTORING & SOFTENING CREAM
- VENUS CHARM (SET)
- COLD WAVE LOTION WITH LANOLIN
- NEUTRALIZER WITH LANOLIN
FDA post-marketing surveillance (PMS) activities have verified that the abovementioned cosmetic products have not gone through the verification process of the agency and have not been issued the proper authorization in the form of acknowledged cosmetic notifications. Pursuant to Republic Act No. 9711, otherwise known as the “Food and Drug Administration Act of 2009”, the manufacture, importation, exportation, sale, offering for sale, distribution, transfer, non-consumer use, promotion, advertising or sponsorship of health products without the proper authorization from FDA is prohibited.
Accordingly, because unnotified cosmetic products have not gone through the verification process of the FDA, the agency cannot guarantee their quality and safety. The use of such violative products may pose potential health hazards to the consuming public. Potential hazards may come from ingredients that are not allowed to be part of a cosmetic product or from the contamination of heavy metals such as mercury especially in whitening cosmetic products. The use of substandard and possibly adulterated cosmetic products may result to adverse reactions including but not limited to skin irritation, itchiness, anaphylactic shock and organ failure.
In light of the above, the public is advised not to purchase the aforementioned violative products. Moreover, the public is also advised to be vigilant against cosmetic products that might not be duly notified with FDA. Alwayscheck if a cosmetic product has been notified with FDA before purchasing it by making use of the embedded Search feature of the FDA website accessible at www.fda.gov.ph.
All concerned establishments are warned not to distribute the above-identified violative cosmetic products until they have already been covered by the appropriate authorization (cosmetic notification), otherwise, regulatory actions and sanctions shall be strictly pursued.
All Local Government Units (LGUs) and Law Enforcement Agencies (LEAs) are requested to ensure that these products are not sold or made available in their localities or areas of jurisdiction.
Dissemination of the information to all concerned is requested.